11 July, 2014

Publication Of My Edward II Biography

I'm very pleased and proud to announce that my book Edward II: The Unconventional King will be published on 28 October!  It's with Amberley Publishing, is 336 pages long and will include a foreword by Ian Mortimer.  I'm keen to demolish all the myths about Edward so often repeated as fact, but absolutely don't want to whitewash him and gloss over all his many faults and errors.  It's a chronological narrative of his reign and what happened to him afterwards, with particular focus on the personal, as there are plenty of books already about the politics of Edward's time.  I want to give the reader a far more vivid and accurate account of Edward than has been seen before.

Edward II is available for pre-order:

Amazon UK
Amazon US
Book Depository
Guardian Bookshop
Amazon Germany

It's also listed on Goodreads.




To follow me on Twitter, I post as RoyneAlianore ('Queen Eleanor' in thirteenth/fourteenth-century French, in honour of Edward II's mother Eleanor of Castile, of course).

If you're on Facebook and we're not already friends, do please feel free to add me; my username there is kathrynedwardthesecond, haha :-)

Edward II has his own Facebook page, which I update daily.

If you're on Goodreads and would like to connect there, here's my profile!

And finally, if you feel like emailing me with any questions, comments, feedback or just to say hello, I'd love to hear from you at EdwardofCaernarfon(at)yahoo(dot)com.

31 comments:

Undine said...

I'm looking forward to reading it! Judging by what you've done on this blog, this must surely be one of *the* definitive books about Edward.

Kathryn Warner said...

Thank you, Undine!

Katarzyna Ogrodnik-Fujcik said...

I agree with Undine, Kathryn! To have all the facts you introduced to us here, on your blog, collected in a single book, that is really wonderful news. Congratulations!

Kathryn Warner said...

Thank you, Kasia! :)

Anonymous said...

Mazel tov on the book! I look forward to reading it.

Esther

Kathryn Warner said...

Thanks, Esther!

chris y said...

Congratulations, I look forward to reading this. I'll buy it anyway, but is there any chance of an ebook, as our house is pretty much full of books, so we try not to add more physical ones if there's an alternative?

Kathryn Warner said...

Thank you, Chris! Yes, it'll be coming out as an e-book as well ;)

Anerje said...

At long last! Can't wait:)

Kathryn Warner said...

:-)

Denise said...

Congratulations! Can't wait to read it!

Kathryn Warner said...

Thank you, Denise!

Anonymous said...

Great cover and this sounds really interesting as probably one of the few modern biographies centering on/involving Edward II as a main character that is historically accurate and gives him a more sympathetic portrayal than he often receives in popular culture and media nowadays but still remains fair, objective, and unbiased on the whole -- definitely look forward to reading this whenever I can get a copy! :D

Kathryn Warner said...

Thank you! :) You might also be interested in the most recent biography of Edward, from 2010, by Professor Seymour Phillips. Entirely different in style from mine ;) I do really hope that I've been objective in the book - I did try to be sympathetic to all concerned and not make moral judgements, or leap in and try to excuse and justify Edward's many failings ;)

Mimi said...

Congratulations! I am looking forward to getting a cooy!

Kathryn Warner said...

Thank you, Mimi, that's great!

Edward Sumarokov said...

Congratulations! I'm very very glad!)

Kathryn Warner said...

Thank you! :)

Anonymous said...

Oh sure, and you're welcome! :) I've heard of it and since you recommend it, it is probably quite good too and I'll be sure to check it out in the future.
Based on what I've seen you doing on your blog, I'm pretty sure you've already done your best to be sympathetic but also objective to most of the figures involved in your research and who lived in Edward II's era, so I'd think you'd have little to be worry about there since the only issue you have to deal with is transferring your objectivity from blog posts to published book. :D

Caroline said...

Wonderful, wonderful and yet more wonderful. To have it all in one book will be bliss. I can't wait for Christmas but will have to buy it as soon as it's out. The bookcase may be full (it collapsed on top of my husband two years ago from the weight of books!) but I think I'll build another one just for this. Many congratulations.

Kathryn Warner said...

Thanks, Passion for History (which is such a great name, btw!)! Seymour Phillips has been studying Edward's reign since the 1960s, and he's very strong on the politics of the era.

Ah, thanks so much, Caroline! I'm so grateful for all your support, and really hope you enjoy the book as much as the blog ;)

Unknown said...

Congrats!
I can't wait to read it.

Kathryn Warner said...

Thank you!

Kathryn Warner said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Being to Amazon with the pre-order, really looking forward to this.
Thanks

Anonymous said...

Got my pre-order to Amazon, am really looking forward to your book.
Thanks

Kathryn Warner said...

Many thanks, John!

Gabriele Campbell said...

You want my TBR pile to topple over, right? :-)

Congrats on the book. I'm too over the place with my interests and research to concentrate on one person or period, though some would make for interesting book objects.

Kathryn Warner said...

Thanks, Gabriele! My tbr pile is the same, hehe ;)

Carla said...

Congratulations, Kathryn!

Kathryn Warner said...

Thanks, Carla!