19 August, 2018

An Interview And An Article

I'm quoted in an article in the Washington Post! See here. As - apparently, I know nothing about it - a Mountbatten cousin of the royal family is marrying his husband this year, the journalist Kayla Epstein decided to write an article about gay British royals in history, and we talked on the phone some weeks ago about Edward II and his relationships with Piers Gaveston and Hugh Despenser.

My talk in the village of East Leake on 9 August, on the 700th anniversary of Edward II meeting his cousin Thomas of Lancaster in the village, went great. Around 125 people attended. After the talk, the lovely Paul Bradshaw interviewed me for his excellent Youtube channel Viral History (see also the Viral History website, here). The next morning, Paul was able to arrange for me to join a tour of Nottingham Castle grounds, currently closed for excavation, and I got to see Mortimer's Hole.

And here is Paul's interview with me on Youtube! It's just under ten minutes, and please do watch!  For any of you who are on Facebook, here is the Viral History page, and the interview with me is also here.

6 comments:

Caroline Newark said...

Brilliant interview Kathryn. Loved it. Well done you. I couldn't get the article link to work, thenWashington Post clearly want to keep you to themselves.

Anerje said...

Just returned from my holiday and catching up with your blog. Fantastic interview on YouTube - especially with the comparison with Prince Harry. Really enjoyed it. Can't open the Washington Post article but will keep trying.

sami parkkonen said...

Love all of this!

Kathryn Warner said...

Thanks, all - really glad you enjoyed the interview!

For anyone unable to access the Washington Post article, here's an archived link to copy and paste: https://web.archive.org/web/20180819065055/https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/retropolis/wp/2018/08/18/the-king-and-his-husband-the-gay-history-of-british-royals/?utm_term=.ee84410e497c

Amanda said...

Brilliant interview Kathryn, I really enjoyed watching it.

Kathryn Warner said...

Thanks, Amanda!